Using any of the free public Wifis found in airports, cafe, shopping centres, etc unprotected is a security and privacy risk. That shady-looking guy lurking around your coffee shop or the airport gate can grab your bank details easier than you may think.
What you can do?
So, what can you do to protect yourself when using any of these free public Wifis?
You need to subscribe to a trusted VPN service provider. A VPN service will tunnel through all your Internet traffic through an encrypted channel to ensure that no hacker around your vicinity can eavesdrop in and steal your private information.
However, not all VPN service providers are trustworthy:
- For example, Facebook’s Onavo VPN service is supposed to keep your Internet traffic private and secure. However, Facebook is using it to collect information about you as you surf the Net. This is so bad that Apple removed Onavo from its App Store. However, Onavo was still available in the Google Play Store for a period of time, ready to snare unsuspecting users.
- Research has also shown that a lot of VPN providers are just as dodgy as the proverbial shady-looking guy lurking at the coffee shop.
- This explosive report revealed that 7 free VPN providers, who boasted about not logging about their users’ web surfing activity, had their users’ logs exposed publicly.
- This article reported that 21 million users of many ‘free’ VPN providers had been stolen by a hacker.
Which VPN provider is trusted?
We have done the research for you. We found a VPN provider that you can trust: ExpressVPN.
We like ExpressVPN because
- It is VERY EASY to set up and use. You can get up and running in just a few moments. You don’t need any technical knowledge to do that.
- In terms of privacy, they don’t keep any logs of their users. In fact, they make it technically impossible for logs to exist! So, even if the government demands the logs, ExpressVPN don’t have any to give. See this YouTube video on how it works.
- They collect minimal information about their users. In fact, you can pay for their servicing using Bitcoin, which only require your email address. No need to enter information like your name, mailing address, and credit card number.
- And finally, they are FAST!
Also, they have reliable service in high-censorship places like China and countries in the Middle East, where other VPN providers are blocked.
And also, ExpressVPN can help you get around geographical restrictions when trying to watch entertainment sites like Netflix.
Click below to sign up to ExpressVPN: